Thursday, October 2, 2008

What's wrong the government or the people who run it?

It seems lately that the US Government is finding itself in a whole heap of trouble lately. It's members are involved in everything from corruption to failing to do the basics of their job. I must admit I used to be one of those people who said let them do what they want on Capitol Hill as long as they don't mess with me. I apologized to my fellow Americans because I, and others like me have failed you. My self imposed ignorance and unwillingness to participate in the very basic part of contributing to the age that we live in, has had a hand in the downward spiral we seem to be finding ourselves in. Until 5 years ago I was pretty much uninterested in what our government did. I knew what it did by the countless number of government and history classes that we have been forced to take during our education. However, I didn't care. When people say that the government sucks or is to blame for our poblems, 5 years ago I would blindly agree with that statement without thinking it through. Nowadays when I hear that statment I think it's not the government but the people who run it....US, the people. We have more rights and involvment than most citizens in countries twice as old as we are. Yet what do we do with that power? People complain that Congress is nothing but a Millionaires club who only serve their own interests. What are we complaining for? We put them there. It's not like in the British Government when half the government is composed of people who obtained the position by birthright and may not want to even be in there in the first place. ALL of our officials are elected. I mean we elect County Treasurers for goodness sake. I remember taking a history class a couple of years ago and marveled at at the way our government was set up. There are so many checks and balances in place, so many safegaurds against tyrany that it's uncanny. However a government is only as good as the people behind it and in the case of the United States of America it's us. Yes, we can only do so much against corruption, and those who would take advantage of the system. However, it is our responsibility to make sure that those who do don't stay around long enough to spread their sickness to the rest of the system. In an age, where common decency, courtesy and respect for our fellow men and women have pretty much been replaced by constant bickiring over who gets to share this dream of ours, and neighbors so concerned with pointing out the flaws of each other they don't see how deep the sewage flows through their own home, its not only important but the responsibility of the few of us who hold on to the dream of how great this country can be get out and use the power that people fought and died for to try to make this world a better place. Our ancestors would revolt and fight over injustices imposed on them. I seriously doubt that if the time came we would stand up and fight those who seek to oppress us from WITHIN this country. Forget Terrorism from outside the country, if we don't stand for what's right we soon may not have much for others to take.

No comments: