Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Growing Up

Well, sad to say I have tried to put off growing up as much as possible but ala, it has happened. Instead of just reading the sports and comic sections of the newspaper and recycling the rest, I find myself pouring over the front page and dabbling in the business sections as I remember my dad doing when I was young. I watch the news for more than sports scores, and school closings. I vote, not just for presidents but for councilman and wheterh or not I want the city to use my tax dollars to put a waterpark 10 miles away from my house. I scream about billing increases and why I have to pay more to use the same amount for less service.

I find myself longing for the days in which the biggest tragedy in my life was that Optimus Prime died in Transformers the movie. Remember when it was surely going to be the end of the world if you didn't talk to your girlfriend/boyfriend of the week for 4 hours a night? Or when you fought to stay up all night on weekends? (and sometimes during the week as well?) Ask any of my friends and the will tell you they believed I was going to be a kid the rest of my life and happy about it. Your reading a blog written by a guy who religiously collects Loony Tunes DVD's and is pissed they don't come out more often. My favorite saying was my inner adult is trying to come out, but I keep kicking the little bastard in the shins and sending him to the corner for an extended time out.

I am not saying there aren't perks to being a grown up. No one cares how late I stay up as long as I show up for work in the morning. I can eat gummy worms whenever I want without someone nagging me about how they will ruin my dinner. Don't have to beg my parents for money or to use the car. There is also that feeling that I can shape the world and maybe leave it a little better than I received it.

While I grudenly join other adults as we collectively scream over the losses in our 401k's, deal with mortgages, bills, work, and politics. I can't help thinking that if I knew at 5, 10, or even 18 what I know now.....

I would have taken more naps..

No comments: